Jarash Propylaea Church
| Phase | Period | Date | Description |
|---|---|---|---|
| 1a | Roman Imperial | mid second century CE | Urban redevelopment of the eastern approach to the sanctuary began with the construction of a bridge over the Chrysorhoas and the terracing of the natural slope. Two parallel walls of limestone blocks, about 10 m wide and 25 m long, defined a roadway that climbed the steep slope of Wadi Jarash. A paving of thick limestone slabs, placed at right angles to the walls, sealed the earth-and-stone fill of the bridge visible along the eastern edge. Halfway up the slope a north–south terrace wall in limestone cut the side of the bridge and created a second terrace suitable for building east of the colonnaded street. Westwards, a barrel-vaulted tunnel, 4.2 m wide, terraced the slope and kept open a cross-route beneath the future church nave. |
| 1b | Roman Imperial | second half of second century CE | Completion of the road between the bridge and the trapezoidal square. Portico colonnades were added along the first stretch of road after the bridge. Two limestone ashlar walls, about 4 m from the road, delimited the carriageway to north and south, running c. 23 m eastwards from the trapezoidal square. East of these, three vaults formed the basement of the ambulacra flanking the road. Part of the original paving, in regular limestone slabs, is preserved on the extrados of the tunnel vault, with a U-shaped channel cut into the slabs along the southern, eastern and northern edges of the road, indicating a drainage system and suggesting roofed porticoes. A restoration in the north-eastern corner of the northern ambulacrum, dated by pottery to the early third century CE, provides a terminus ante quem for this arrangement. |
| 1c | Roman Imperial | early third century CE | Construction of the east propylaeum. The foundations of a triple triumphal arch cut the earlier bridge walls about 15 m west of the terrace wall, demolishing the previous structure. Two external pillars are partially preserved, with three lower thresholds for double doors between them. The lateral openings had fasciated frames with rectangular niches or windows above. Nine reused voussoirs in the church apse likely belonged to the arched central portal with a span of c. 4 m. A pedestal in the eastern side indicates four projecting columns. Pedestals for two rows of columns, identical to those of the propylaeum, were cut into the old road walls, creating colonnades that flanked the road. Standardized Corinthian orders with late-Severan capitals decorated both the propylaeum and the colonnades, dated by stratigraphy and architectural style to the early third century CE. |
| 2A | Byzantine | mid sixth century CE | In the Byzantine period the whole area was transformed into a religious complex: a church erected on the site of the propylaeum, a colonnaded roadway, and buildings arranged around an atrium occupying the former trapezoidal square. The colonnaded roadway was roofed to create a central nave, 38.50 × 10.80 m, |
| 2b | Byzantine | late 6th–early 7th century CE |
Renovations reshaped the religious complex, adding new
northern and southern porticoes to the atrium, raising floor
levels, renewing pavements, and modifying internal rooms.
A coin of Phocas provides a firm terminus post quem for
this phase. The southern hall was converted into a small single-nave chapel with a semicircular apse, mosaic pavements, and stone altar bases. Adjacent rooms were repaired or reused, including a hall with a roughly restored mosaic and a storeroom with vessels and steps. Water installations were updated with terracotta pipes and a reused column drum as a fountain spout holder. Toward the end of this phase the complex suffered seismic destruction, seen in collapsed blocks across the presbyterium mosaic, cracked stone tiles in the eastern portico, and structural failures consistent with a strong earthquake. Lime heaps on the church floor may reflect aborted restoration following earthquake damage. Possible earthquakes include those of 633, 659, or 660 CE. |
| 3 | Umayyad / Early Islamic | 7th–8th century CE |
After the final Byzantine renovations, the entire complex
was reused informally. Floors were no longer maintained,
rooms were subdivided with rough walls, earlier mosaics
were covered with beaten-earth surfaces, and domestic
installations such as hearths and storage pits appeared.
Pottery from this phase includes Umayyad common wares,
cooking vessels, and lamps, along with residual Late Roman
and Byzantine material. Architectural collapse from the preceding period remained visible: large wall blocks and architectural fragments lay embedded in occupation layers, and several rooms show evidence of reused rubble derived from earlier seismic damage. No organized rebuilding occurred. Near the end of Phase 3 the complex experienced additional structural failure. |
| After Phase 3 | 8th–19th century CE |
The earthquake of 749 AD destroyed most of the standing structures and made the whole area unusable.
In contrast with other areas of the site, no Abbasid pottery was found here, and no other finds
earlier than Mamluk have been recorded in the excavations. In the mid 13th century the pottery is
associated with various traces of campfires and occasional pens and shelters for animals. Concomitant with the arrival of Circassian refugees in 1878, was the practice of the reuse of building material and robbing from the ancient monuments In the area of the `Propylaea Church' there is evidence of a systematic robbing of the stone slab paving from east to west. It is possible that this spoliation was done in the first years of the 20th century and was resumed for a short period after 1934, the year of the last season of the American expedition. |
... The end of the use of the church complex has been related to the evidence for a seismic event well documented in the chapel. Here some of the collapsed blocks have been found still in situ on the mosaic of the presbiterium (Fig. 9). Before the reoccupation, the debris was only partially removed, possibly just for rescuing the liturgical furniture. Evidence of collapsed structures has also been recorded on the floor of the eastern portico of the atrium, where the stone tiles preserved an unmistakable cracking by pointing shots.
59. We cannot definitely exclude localised earthquakes not recorded in known sources.
| Century (AD) | Event (AD) attribution by original author |
Reliability of interpreted evidence |
Likely attributable seismic event (AD) |
Locality | Plan ref. | Reference |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 7th | 633–660 | High | 659 | Propylaea Church | 16 | Brizzi, Seipo, and Baldoni 2010, 356–57. |
| 8th | 749 | High | 747–749 | Propylaea Church | 16 | Brizzi, Seipo, and Baldoni 2010, 358. |
The contexts and the structures belonging to the Umayyad period were systematically ignored and removed from the area without documentation in the excavations from 1926 to 1934. In these conditions it is difficult to reconstruct the sequence for the whole area when only isolated pockets of in situ material can be documented for this period, and primarily only in the recently investigated area.
60. The northern wall of this building has been dug up.
This structure collapsed northwards in the mid 8th-century
earthquake and fine polychrome plaster fragments, glass vessels
and a stucco wall-lamp have been found in the debris.
61. There are no tiles in the aisle in the debris of the mid 8th-century earthquake,
nor of the Byzantine roof nor of any reconstructed covering.
The earthquake of 749 AD destroyed most of the standing structures and made the whole area unusable. In contrast with other areas of the site, no Abbasid pottery was found here, and no other finds earlier than Mamluk have been recorded in the excavations. In the mid 13th century the pottery is associated with various traces of campfires and occasional pens and shelters for animals.
62. It lasted legally until 1946, when it was banned during the British mandate in Transjordan.
63. An iron lever was found in the first preserved eastern row of slabs.
| Century (AD) | Event (AD) attribution by original author |
Reliability of interpreted evidence |
Likely attributable seismic event (AD) |
Locality | Plan ref. | Reference |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 7th | 633–660 | High | 659 | Propylaea Church | 16 | Brizzi, Seipo, and Baldoni 2010, 356–57. |
| 8th | 749 | High | 747–749 | Propylaea Church | 16 | Brizzi, Seipo, and Baldoni 2010, 358. |
| Seismic Effect | Location | Image(s) | Description |
|---|---|---|---|
|
Propylaea Church
Plan of Jerash. North is to the right.
Click on image to open in a new tab Holger Behr - Wikipedia - Public Domain |
Fig. 9 |
|
| Seismic Effect | Location | Image(s) | Description |
|---|---|---|---|
|
Propylaea Church
Plan of Jerash. North is to the right.
Click on image to open in a new tab Holger Behr - Wikipedia - Public Domain |
|
Earthquake Archeological Effects (EAE)| Seismic Effect | Location | Image(s) | Description | Intensity |
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Propylaea Church
Plan of Jerash. North is to the right.
Click on image to open in a new tab Holger Behr - Wikipedia - Public Domain |
Fig. 9 |
|
|
Earthquake Archeological Effects (EAE)| Seismic Effect | Location | Image(s) | Description | Intensity |
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Propylaea Church
Plan of Jerash. North is to the right.
Click on image to open in a new tab Holger Behr - Wikipedia - Public Domain |
|
|
Brizzi, M., Sepio, D., & Baldoni, D. (2010). Italian excavations at Jarash 2002-2009: The area of the East Propylaeum of the Sanctuary of Artemis and the “Propylaea Church” Complex
. Annual of the Department of Antiquities of Jordan, 54, 345-370.
Lichtenberger, A. and Raja, R. (ed.s) (2025) Jerash, the Decapolis, and the Earthquake of AD 749 The Fallout of a Disaster
Belgium: Brepols.
Figure 2.6
Table 2.2